Some Tips That Help In Dealing With Baldness In Your Life
Natural hair thinning is a part of the aging process. Hair loss affects at least a third of men at some point in their lives. Male-pattern baldness, a condition that is genetically inherited, is experienced by some men in their late teens or early twenties. Baldness does not have any impact on the health of a man, but causes stress and at times even depression. Dealing with baldness in your life, therefore, assumes a lot of importance. Some actions that you can take to handle hair loss are as follows:
- You can get a prescription for Propecia (medical name Finasteride) from your doctor and have one pill of 1 mg strength a day. It is found to be effective in stopping hair loss. In some people, a small amount of regrowth has been observed. This option is best suited for men experiencing the early signs of male-pattern baldness. It can take months to start seeing results.
- You can buy Rogaine from a drug store as a liquid or as foam. This over-the-counter treatment can be directly applied to the scalp and massaged twice daily. You will start noticing the effect after several months. It effectively stops hair loss. Regrowth has been observed in some people, but the hair fibers are thinner compared to the original hairs.
- You can consult with your doctor and discuss about cortisone injections or corticosteroids. Such treatments involve direct injection into the scalp at the balding area. In about a months time, hair growth may start to appear. Injections will have to be taken every month to maintain hair growth.
- You can also think about the possibility of a hair transplant. In such surgeries, small portions of the scalp around the sides of the head containing thick compositions of hair strands are grafted into areas that are balding. The number of sessions of transplant surgeries will depend on the severity of hair loss.
- Another strategy that you can try in consultation with your surgeon is the scalp reduction surgery.
It is not that the only option for dealing with baldness in your life is medication or surgery. You can deal with it in different ways. Some of the methods available to you are as follows:
- You can cut your hair short. This is to avoid the look of having a fistful of straw on your head as hair starts thinning.
- It pays to maintain a good figure. You can't do much to stop balding, but you can remain trim and divert your attention from the worry of losing hair to becoming healthier.
- You can grow a moustache and even a beard. Young balding men can sport goatees. It looks nice on them.
- If you are bald, you may feel as though everyone is staring at your head. If you wear glasses, you can throw away your ordinary spectacles and get yourself an attractive pair of glasses to divert the attention of others from your baldness. The same suggestion holds good for clothes as well.
- You can come to terms with the fact that you are balding. All men lose hair, some lose more and some lose less. It is not worth being obsessed about and wasting your time over it. Enjoy the hair that you do have. Your confidence is what matters to other people. Have a sense of humor and let others know that your baldness does not really bother you.
It is a different story altogether for women. It is a complex matter as diet, a disease or even grooming can lead to thinning of hair. Generally, it is not a big deal when men lose hair, but hair loss is a matter of serious concern for women. In the case of women, about 40% of them lose substantial amount of hair after menopause and 10% - 15% experience thinning of hair in their thirties. Women usually do not develop bald spots, but hair thins all over the head. Female hair loss, like male-pattern hair loss, is related to the testosterone levels. After menopause, the testosterone levels in women increase proportionately due to the decline in estrogen levels.
Generally, doctors do not prescribe any drug treatment for women as it can tamper with bodys androgen levels. It is to be first confirmed whether the hair loss is due to excess of androgen in the system or an over response to normal amounts of it. Therefore, doctors usually recommend topical treatment or direct application on scalp.
Excessive hair growth was observed in patients treated with Minoxidil tablets for high blood pressure. Further studies have revealed that applying a solution of Minoxidil directly to the scalp stimulated hair growth and since only smaller amounts of Minoxidil is absorbed through skin, it did not cause any internal side effects. It is available under the brand name Rogaine. It is found to be more effective for women than men. Another topical treatment that is available by prescription is Ketoconazole (trade name Nizoral).
Androgen receptor inhibitors such as Spironolactone (brand name Aladactone), Cimetidine (brand name Tagamet) and Cyproterone Acetate are also used for treating hair loss. Such inhibitors slowdown the production of androgen and also partly block the action of androgen.
Estrogen and progesterone pills and creams are also found to be effective treatment for women with androgenetic alopecia who are going through menopause or whose estrogen and/or progesterone levels are disturbed for other reasons. Oral Contraceptives and Finasteride (trade name Propecia/Proscar) are also effective in treating hair loss in women.
Though hair loss is a natural sign of aging or part of your genetic makeup, some of the following preventive measure may be of great help.
- You can massage your scalp with 2-3 drops of any essential oil.
- You can use a milder shampoo that is not detergent based.
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet.
- Avoid the use of the blower to dry your hair.
- Never style your hair when it is dry or damp as it can cause your locks to become elastic and break.
Hair loss is a universal condition. It affects people of all ages, races, genders and nationalities. More than seeking a treatment for it through the use of drug that can pose a lot of side effects, it is better to effect a lifestyle modification that helps in dealing with baldness in your life in an effective manner.